Glue Delrin®? No, “bond” Delrin®, with our patented Polymer Bonding Process (Process).
Conventional wisdom is that you can’t glue Delrin® or any other polymer. Which is, actually, mostly true. If you use an adhesion promoter, you can get a modest glue joint in working with Delrin®.
By adding the power of chemistry and and the laws of physics you can now “bond” Delrin® and any other polymer … to itself or to almost any other substrate. By using our patented Polymer Bonding Process (Process), you can bond Delrin® to almost anything quickly, easily and permanently.
Bonding Delrin® Video
Delrin or acetal or polyoxymethylene, otherwise known as acetal or POM, have slick surfaces which make them hard to penetrate and therefore glue. This slick surface is a result of its low surface energy. Our molecular bonding process however, takes place beneath the surface and coheres the polymers and monomers of each surface, into a covalent bond. In technical terms, this process is called polymerization. One of the reasons our bonding process is so effective on poly’s, is that our system of bonding them, is similar to the system used to create them. Wherever and whenever we state that we can bond Delrin®, the universal reaction is skepticism. Skeptics are the reason why we have a money-back guarantee. If any of our kits do not meet your performance expectations, we will refund your purchase price. Simply return the kit. So far, after having sold thousands of kits, we have not had to make a refund.
Polymer Bonding Process (patented)
What’s the secret of the Process? It’s how we combine the following:
- – a polymer-enhanced, Surface Insensitive Structural Cyanoacrylate
- – our standard Activator/Accelerator, (the chemistry)
- – the Poly Prep (chemistry again)
- – heat (molecular reaction)
The steps for bonding Delrin® to itself or almost any other surface.
- Use sandpaper or steel wool to rough the Delrin® and/or other surfaces. Surface preparation is critical.
- Clean the surfaces with a cleaner that will not leave a residue.
- Wipe to remove all residue with a soft cloth.
- Saturate the Delrin® and all poly surfaces with our Poly Prep, an adhesion promoter for polymers. Let the Poly Prep dry.
- Spray one of the surfaces with our Activator/Accelerator (AA). Let the AA dry.
- Warm both the Delrin® and all other poly surfaces with a heat source. By touch, you want the Delrin®/poly surface to just below hot. By temperature, about 120 degrees F.
- Apply an SI Structural Adhesive to the opposite surface from where you sprayed the AA. Make sure that the SI adhesive reaches the edges of the join.
- Very firmly Firmly press the two surfaces together for at least 15 seconds.
- Apply a bead of the SI Structural Adhesive to the seam between the surfaces.
- Spray the seam with the Activator/Accelerator.
As a result of this process, the two Delrin surfaces will be bonded. Operational strength is achieved almost immediately, but the strength of the bond is directly proportional to the amount of time it is given to fully cure.
To bond Delrin® to aluminum or to any other metal
- Rough the surface of Delrin® with sandpaper or steel wool.
- Sand the steel, aluminum or other metal first with a coarse grade of sand paper then with a 400 or 600 grit paper.
- Clean all surfaces with a cleaner that will not leave a residue.
- Wipe with a clean soft cloth.
- Saturate the Delrin® surface with our Poly Prep, an adhesion promoter for polymers.
- Spray a solvent based Activator/Accelerator (AA) on either the Delrin® or metal.
- Warm the Delrin® surface with a hair dryer or heat gun. By touch, you want the Delrin® to be just below hot. By temperature, about 120 degrees F.
- Apply an SI Structural Adhesive to the opposite surface from where the AA was sprayed.
- Firmly press the two surfaces together for a minimum of fifteen seconds.
As a result of this process, the Delrin® and metal surface will be bonded. Operational strength is achieved almost immediately, but the strength of the bond is directly proportional to the amount of time it is given to fully cure.
Save 15% With Tech-Bond Kits
Any of our Poly, Deluxe or Professional Kits will bond Delrin® to itself and any other substrate; except stainless steel and glass.
*If you have any questions, feel free to call 877-565-7225.
To Leave A Review of Your Delrin Molecular Bonding experience…..
CLICK ON VIEW NON-AMP VERSION ON THE BOTTOM OF THE PAGE